Job Opportunities

Click Here to Make an Appointment


Working in the U.S.
The United States has very strict rules for international students who want to work during their studies. International students enrolled full time and in valid F-1 status may work on-campus for up to 20 hours per week during when classes are in session, and up to 40 hours per week when classes are not. Students in valid F-1 cannot be employed off campus without meeting eligibility requirements and obtaining official authorization. Immigration regulations severely limit the international student’s eligibility to accept employment off campus. Students found working illegally are failing to maintain their F-1 student and risk having their F-1 status revoked.

U.S. Social Security Number
In the United States, a Social Security number (SSN) is a 9-digit number issued to citizens and eligible non-citizens. Its primary purpose is to track individuals for taxation purposes. A SSN is important because you need it to get a job on campus and off campus. Many other businesses, such as cell phone companies, banks and credit companies, also ask for your SSN. You cannot apply for a SSN until you have a job offer and an employer cannot pay you until you provide them with your SSN.

To apply for a SSN, bring the following documents to the Social Security Office, located at 437 Main Street in Dunkirk, NY:

  • A letter from your employer, on company letterhead, stating the job title, work hours, start date and rate of pay.
  • A letter from your the International Student Services Office confirming your eligibility to work.
  • Your passport, F-1 visa and I-94 number.
  • Your Form I-20.
    The SSN application, which can be picked up from the International Office, or downloaded online from

If your application is approved, you will receive your Social Security Card within 10-14 business days. Keep your SS Card in a safe place – it is difficult and costly to replace.

We have many positions on campus for international students.

On-Campus Jobs

FSA Food Service and Bookstore:
Faculty Student Association employs students in the Erie and Cranston Dining Halls, Connections Food Court, Signature Cafes, and Connections Bookstore. Positions include kitchen prep, catering servers, pre-pack services, etc. (The Stir-Fry station at Erie seems to be a popular choice J). To apply please visit the FSA office located in Gregory Hall.

Night Desk Attendant:
Most residence halls on campus, except for Gregory, have a Guest Sign-In policy from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. every day. Night Desk Attendants are responsible for sitting desk at the main entrance and signing residents’ guests in and out. Talk to your Residence Advisor or Residence Director about applying for NDA job.

Learning Center Tutor:
Tutors at the Learning Center help students with various subjects ranging from math to foreign languages. To be a tutor at the Learning Center, you have to apply in the spring semester, usually by March, to be a tutor the following year. You will need to get a recommendation from advisor to prove you have the academic knowledge for the course(s) you will be tutoring.